At last Facebook will begin testing auto play video ads on the news-feeds of a select group of users. This is a step albeit a baby one to Facebook video ads on news-feeds. Our guess is within the next 6 months video ads will become a part of every Facebook users news-feed, just as sponsored updates and text ads have. This is a follow on from Instagram videos which were announced in June which signaled video ads could be on the horizon.
How will they look ?
From the rumor mill and our own predictions, the video ads will feature much the same as sponsored updates do in the news feed (below), but will incorporate automatic playing like Vine , users will see the ad the second they scroll to its position. For now users are required to press the play button to view a page’s ad.
Surprisingly Zuckerberg didn’t mention video ads in his interview at Disrupt 2013, he may be holding off on announcements until user testing is completed.
‘We’re the platform, you’re the producer’
- Facebook Tests Auto-Play News Feed Videos On Mobile (allthingsd.com)
- Facebook Tests Silent Auto-Play For User Videos In Mobile Feed, Foreshadowing Video Ads (techcrunch.com)
- Facebook testing TV-like auto-play videos for mobiles (dnaindia.com)
- Facebook testing auto-playing videos on mobile (slashgear.com)
- Facebook for BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet Update Now Available (blogs.blackberry.com)
- Facebook Just Got One Step Closer to Releasing Auto-Play Video Ads (businessinsider.com)
- Facebook Figures Out A New Way To Annoy: Autoplaying Videos (And Video Ads) (cultofmac.com)
- Facebook testing silent, auto-playing videos in mobile News Feed (idownloadblog.com)
- Facebook brings auto-playing videos to your News Feed, watch those data caps! (phandroid.com)
- Facebook Testing Auto Video Playback in Mobile Feed (phonescoop.com)